Monday, July 27, 2009

I like Barbershop Quartets

I have to get something off my chest. I really don't like musicals. The songs get awkward, especially when they're not well known show tunes. Regardless, I usually end up seeing several every year.

Last Sunday I caught Zilker Theatre Productions' performance of The Music Man. Compared to last year's rendition of Beauty and the Beast, the show was abysmal. None of the actors were really at fault. The plot moved slower than a slowpoke walking through a molasses factory in a very slow way.

Fortunately, there was a creamy center of redemption in this cyanide-laced twinkie. In fact, this high fructose nugget was partitioned into little chocolate and vanilla sections.
The Chocolate: Unintentionally funny references to author Honoré de Balzac. I don't think I need to spell that out for you.
The Vanilla: Prominent use of a barbershop quartet.

Barbershop quartets are remarkable for a few reasons.
Men are generally oafish and unappealing. Look in any men's magazine. It's full of women. Look in a women's magazine. Also full of women!
That's why it's so surprising when you get an acoustically pleasing product out of four otherwise uninteresting individuals.

Clip from a film version:


I don't think I'm the only one who enjoys this. Youtube commenters eat this stuff up:


maverick6589 (3 weeks ago)
the chord at 3:01 literally made me jizz in my pants

And finally, a funny one:

1 comment: